Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thrifting Goodness

So we got a new property over close to Old Town Orange and I had to go put a lock box on it Tuesday.  For those of you who don't know, Old Town Orange is one of the oldest parts of Orange County and has awesome houses, lots of Craftsman and Victorian Style houses.  Steve and I love it there and that is our "if we ever win the lottory" place to buy a house.  In fact, Steve and I met up again and started dating at the annual International Street Fair they hold 3 years ago.

But back to my point.  Since I was down there at the end of my work day and I wasn't going to get back in time to get any work done at the office (it was 3:45 when I finished with the lock box and I'm done at 4, it takes about 20 min to get back in afternoon traffic) I decided to go to one of the thrift stores and my favorite used book store, Bookman.  Boy am I glad I did (though I'm not sure that Steve is)! So while thrifting I found these awesome crewel embroidery kits from the 70's, unopened for $2 a piece! Look how amazing they are!
DSC_0142
DSC_0144 
DSC_0139 

DSC_0141
 I want to make these and hang them in my house. Steve's response to this was, "Wow, I can't imagine why those were never opened." He's fine with them though in real life.  He's a weirdo like me and likes random stuff up in our house.  So excited!


When I went to Bookman I got the first book for our new book club, Watership Down by Richard Adams, for $2.95!
DSC_0147

And then I got 2 books I just want to read, Post Office by Charles Bukowski, for $13.00:

DSC_0151 

And Visions of Cody by Jack Kerouac, for $2.95 also:


DSC_0150 

All in all it was an awesome day!

1 comment:

Fourth Daughter said...

I'm envious about those finds, I keep hoping I'll stumble on cute embroidery kits like these but the ones I find are always ugly ones of houses, for some reason!! And $2 is so cheap considering if you buy those kits new they can be about $100.... so great work!!
http://stylewilderness.blogspot.com/